About Me

Follow by Email Instructions

Enter your email address below to get notified when I publish a new post!

Tuesday 26 February 2013

2013.02.26 Orientation Events and Hawthorn Hotel

Tuesday of Orientation week held three fun events for students on campus.  The first started at midday and was hosted by SSAA, or Swinburne Student Amenities Association.


The event was in the George building, on campus just next to my apartment complex.  It consisted of several booths from organizations such as the school's dance team, christian groups, the ski club, independent banking and phone companies, and more.  But my favorite part was the free potato snack - I actually do not even know what it is called.


But what they did was grab a potato and pushed it onto a rotating shaft with a blade mounted to it.  They would then use a handle to spin the shaft which both moved the potato forward and spun the potato against the blade (number 1 above).  The potato was then put on a wood stick and stretched out, resulting in a single, swirling piece of potato on a stick (number 2 above).

It was then dipped in some thin, white batter, where the next person fried and seasoned the potato with your flavor choice (salt and pepper, nacho cheese, chicken and salt, barbecue or hot & spicy).


You're only supposed to have one without waiting in line again, but I snuck away with two.

Later in the evening at 4 PM the school held free social for students with ale, apple cider, pear cider and pizza.  I met more exchange students I hadn't had a chance to talk to, and connected further with ones I had, while slowly getting drunk off of cider.  This was actually the first time I had ever had cider with alcohol in it and it was absolutely delicious.  The pear cider was especially tasty.

After drinking the cider for two and a half hours I was quite drunk and needed a break before that night's party.  I went back to my apartment and fell asleep (I know, I got lazy). 

A couple hours passed and I woke up, took a quick shower, changed, and headed out the door for the day's third activity - the Hawthorn Hotel party.  The downstairs was multiple rooms, five in total I believe, complete with a DJ and dance floor, spot lights and lazers, pool tables, and three bars.  Continuing further took you to an outside are and bar, as well as a large deck with seating and tables up a flight of stairs.  

After a quick look-around, Leonie and I headed to the bar to get a couple quick drinks.  I took advantage of the night's specials and took a few quick tequila shots before heading off to the dance floor.  Before I knew it all of the exchange students had taken over the small elevated dance area overlooking the rest of the crowd.


The night continued between dancing, going out onto the deck, hitting the bar, and playing pool.


And of course, more dancing.


I enjoyed the night into well into the morning until finally heading back to my apartment, sweaty and exhausted.

Tomorrow is the Amazing Race at 10:30 am - a scavenger hunt for exchange and study abroad students to explore the campus and city.  I'll be sure to post about it soon!

2 comments:

  1. You didnt tell us what flavor potatoe you picked. I want chicken and salt...mmmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol. I took the chicken and salt and my friend gave me her barbecue flavored one she didn't want

    ReplyDelete