About Me

Follow by Email Instructions

Enter your email address below to get notified when I publish a new post!

Thursday 21 February 2013

2013.02.21 Leaving for Swinburne University in Melbourne

After months of preparation, I began my 36 hour (yes, 36 freakin' hours) trip to Melbourne to study abroad at Swinburne University. Equipped with my Mom's polkadot luggage, my Sister, Mom and Dad hopped into the van and started their routine 52-step check to make sure I had everything.  Once I had their OK, we were off.  The ride was actually not that bad for having four Chapman's in the car for an hour and a half; my sister reminded me to visit P. Sherman at 42, Wallabe Way, Sydney while my mom went off on the countless dangers of the outback.  I can only be thankful that my sister didn't start poking me in the ear with her foot like she usually does during long car rides.

Eventually we reached the airport and walked into my terminal.


I went through the airport routine, checked my bags, got my boarding passes, stored my luggage receipts, and said goodbye to my family at the entrance to the security check.

Once the tears were done, I waited in the security line with plenty of time to make my 6:30 PM departure for Los Angeles.  I grabbed some food, waited, and boarded.  I was pleasantly surprised when I got to my seat to find that I had the entire row to myself.  I won't lie to you - I used all three seats.  The airplane took off on time and landed as scheduled.



This was the easy part.  Next was the plane ride from hell - from Los Angeles to Sydney.  The total air time was 14 hours and 11 minutes.

Now, I can tell you that I am pretty strong when it comes to long travel times.  When I went to Germany, the flights didn't really phase me.  But let me tell you: When you pass over Honolulu after five hours, then pull up the flight status to see you're not even half way, that is EXACTLY when the depression sets in.  Especially when you're trapped by the window in an incredibly cramped economy seat.


I advise anybody taking flights like this to reserve aisle seats.  The take-off and landing views are not worth it, I promise you.  But the flight overall was - being greeted with "G'day mate" in Sydney was enough to snap me out of the tired mood.

Unfortunately the weather in Sydney was rainy, so taking the bus to my new domestic terminal was a bit meek.  But seeing the Airbus 380 I will be flying back to the states in, with the Qantas kangaroo logo on the back was still pretty neat.


Despite a 90 minute delay in my flight from Sydney to Melbourne, the trip went smoothly.  I even struck up a pretty interesting conversation about bungee jumping and squirrel swings with a New Zealander - we continued chatting all the way until we both had out suitcases from baggage claim.  At that point, I found my airport pickup provider and headed to board a bus with other study abroad students from China, Thailand, California and Ohio.


We started talking about our excitement about being in Melbourne for four months throughout the car ride, but once we passed right by the skyline on the highway we all quieted - I'll let the pictures speak for themselves.





At the end of the car ride I ended up right at the door of my apartment complex, Unilodge @ Swinburne Place.  I went up to the welcome door and checked in, got my room key and made my way to my room.  So far only one of three other roommates has moved in, so it is pretty quiet.

I get my own small bedroom which is nice, and is all I need.



The living room and kitchen is also a pretty standard college four-person set up, although I don't imagine myself spending much time in these rooms!



But I must say, the huge balcony right outside my living room with a pretty sweet view is a nice bonus.


So this catches you up to exactly where I am as I write this.  What is next?  A nice, long shower, a well-deserved nap, and preparation for my first night in Melbourne: White Night!  White Night is a celebration from dusk until dawn with over 80 free attractions celebrating food, music, dance, film, art, and light.  More can be read here: whitenightmelbourne.com.au

With that, I'm off; I'll give you guys an update on White Night tomorrow!